Discovering Tuscany: the archaeological area of Roselle
After Vetulonia, today we want to talk about another famous archaeological area in Tuscany: that of Roselle, an ancient settlement populated by the Etruscans in the 7th century B.C. They chose to settle this area by no means: the city was in a particularly strategic position, easy to defend and located on the wide plain of Grosseto.
In 294 B.C. the city was conquered by the consul Lucio Postumio Megello and became a Roman colony: the city had a huge urbanization, so that several monuments such as the amphitheater, the thermal baths, the monumental forum and the Basilica of Bassi arose in this period.
In the late imperial age, however, Roselle knew an inexorable period of decadence, the same that would have touched all the Roman cities. In the Middle Age it became a rather modest centre, despite being a bishopric; when then in 1138 Pope Innocent II transferred the diocese to Grosseto, Roselle started towards the definitive decline.
The city was rediscovered only in 1942 when some excavations brought to light its ancient beauty. The restoration by the Superintendence for the Archaeological Heritage of Tuscany discovered a large part of the city walls and many remains of the ancient Roman city, including several noble residences, the forum, forensic basilica and part of the amphitheater and the baths. Further excavations have also revealed ancient dwellings and some workshops of craftsmen dating back to the VII-VI century BC.
How to reach the archaeological site of Roselle
To get to Roselle you just follow the signs for the archaeological site that are on the road to Siena. The area is just 10 km from Grosseto.